What to wear, bring, do...
- You will want to wear tighter fitting clothing that you can move in. We have mats and everything that you need in the studio. We even have reverse osmosis filtered water, so just bring yourself!
- We don't have a shower or locker room, but you can keep your things safe in the room or in the cubbies by the door. We have a large bathroom with room to change clothes.
- Come to class on time. Because the very first thing we do in class is shut out the world and calm our nervous system, students who are late won't be allowed into class.
- Classes are quiet in order to respect your fellow students in the class, who are typically concentrating on cues, listening to their bodies and trying to find some peace. Workshops and private and semi private sessions give you the opportunity to have a dialogue with the teacher and she is always available for questions before or after class.
- We believe in community building at Shine! Make friends with lovely people in your class, see friends at Shine events, come in a little before class and talk. Class is quiet, but the studio space isn't.
Every class is your class
One of the most important things I've learned about yoga is that the level of effort in any yoga class is dependent on the individual. I've been in high-intensity vinyasa classes where I've barely broken a sweat and I've been in gentle classes where I was really present and felt every muscle working.
Our job as yoga teachers is to create a class that works for everyone, finding the very different things that are challenging for each person in the class and providing the support and tools they need to succeed that day. Because different amounts and types of movement appeal to different people we provide a full menu of yoga styles. Our hope is that eventually you will try them all and begin to combine different types of classes each week.
Classes are focused on helping you to improve your practice, increase flexibility, and strength while giving you a safe space to be you.